About Me

Sunday, May 24, 2015

9 Breastfeeding Essentials

I'd like to say that this is to be my triumphant return to blogging (huzzah!) but I think we all know that I am consistently inconsistent with things like this. So suffice it to say that I hope I'll be back. It's a start at least. 

When I left you, I mentioned that I wanted to write a post about breastfeeding, because in many ways, the experience has surprised me; sometimes pleasantly, sometimes not so pleasantly. Perhaps the biggest surprise is that I learned how very little I knew about breastfeeding despite the fact that I work in Pediatrics. As a general life lesson, I'm trying to come around to the idea that knowing how little you know is actually a good thing, but that's another post for another day.

Over the past seven months (that's right...seven!) I've come across several blogs/articlesthat have provided a list of "breastfeeding essentials." I figure since I'm seven months in, it might be a good idea to come up with one of my own.

So here it is;



1. Knowledge

OMP is a teacher, and frequently finds himself giving a lecture on the difference between Truth and Knowledge. Suffice it to say that there is Truth, and some of us may never find it. Among those of us who do, a large percentage will manage to find the Truth without having knowledge. But to have the Truth and to know WHY it is the Truth, that's the goal.

I find this so applicable to breastfeeding. Not everyone is aware that breastfeeding even has benefits, and among those who do, not many know what those benefits are or why they are important. If you are seriously considering breastfeeding your child then you will need to arm yourself with knowledge. Because there are times where you will struggle, and times where you will ask yourself "why am I doing this again?" And if you want to keep going, you'll need more than just "because my doctor said so" to carry you through the tough parts. 

More importantly, you're bound to run into a snag or two (see essential #2), so you're going to want to at least have some knowledge of potential problems and how to fix them.

2. A realistic perspective

Breastfeeding. Is. Hard. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that this perfect little baby is going to slide right out of you on sunshine and moonbeams, float right into your arms, latch to your breast with the sound of birds singing in the background, and drink your already ample supply of milk as a unicorn frolicks across the hospital room. 

I'm going to level with you. It's not going to happen.

So rid yourself of any misconceptions of an easy road right off the bat. Expect it will be hard. And then multiply that by five. It's so much easier to be overprepared than underprepared. 

3. A plan

Everyone under the sun will tell you to make a birth plan, but I really wish that I had made a breastfeeding plan too. Because at some point they're going to hand you a baby. And you're going to say "...well what to I do?" (Even if you're a Nurse Practitioner!). And they're going to say "...well what do you want to do?" (Especially if you're a Nurse Practitioner!). So. Know what you're going to do.

I'll avoid specifics, but suffice it to say that the first 48 hours are a blur. And that period is so critical to the success of breastfeeding. I wish I had put a plan in place to maximize not only my time with little V, but also to best utilize the hospital support services. We were successful, but we were lucky, and it required more work (and pain) then probably was necessary. 

4. An International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)

A few Lactation Consultants breezed by after delivery, and I wish I had really taken advantage of them. Luckily, I was armed with knowledge (essential number one), so it didn't take me long after discharge to realize that something was wrong and I needed help. After our first meeting, I cried. I could not believe the amount of relief I felt. In fact, I don't think I truly realized how much I was struggling until I met with the IBCLC and saw how easy it could be. These women are Godsends and are covered by your insurance. Don't ask questions. Just go. Even if you think it's going well. Go.

5. A healthy diet

I use this term very loosely to mean make sure you are eating regularly and drinking plenty of water and are continuing on a multivitamin. No judgies from me if you want that extra slice of cake. The truth is that I still have a hard time remembering to eat when I'm at home with the baby, but it is so important. 

6. A supportive, but knowledgeable pediatrician

It can be a difficult line to walk but you want a pediatrician who is going to do everything she can to support and encourage your efforts until it becomes medically unwise to do so. You don't want your pediatrician to be pouring formula down your baby's throat, but you also want one who can recognize if exclusively breastfeeding is not working and who knows when it might be wise to supplement with formula.

7. A village

Our ancestors didn't have much of a choice when it came to feeding their babies. Babies were breastfed. Young girls watched their mothers and aunts and cousins nurse their little ones. When these girls grew and had their own babies, they could lean on those women for support. Nowadays our experience is quite different. It's not uncommon for a new mom to have never EVER even seen someone breastfeeding. So we need some help.

Luckily there's a lot if you know where to look. La Leche League is a great place to start. You can find real and virtual breastfeeding support groups or reach out to your local LLL leader. Join a local or Church Mom's group. Or look online! It's best to be skeptical, of course, but there's a lot of good information and support out there if you know where to look (start with kellymom.com). We've heard that it takes a village to raise a child and that includes breastfeeding! So reach out to your fellow moms!  

8. Determination

I had a tough time including this one because there are a lot of women who are very determined to breastfeed their babies but who ultimately are unable to. So to be undeniably clear, I am in no way saying that those women were not determined, or not determined enough. Determination alone will not guarantee success, BUT, it is a necessary component. 

9. A supportive spouse 

I can't emphasize this one enough. OMP was so encouraging and supportive, and had my back every step of the way. In the early days he made sure I kept eating and drinking. He basically took all responsibility for our international student. He slept in bed with me when I wanted him to and in the guest room when I wanted him to. Ultimately we all need support in different ways, but for the most part, when I needed him, he was there. In my moments of weakness, it would probably have been easier for him to just step back, but he continued to encourage and reassure me. If your partner is not on-board with breastfeeding then it's worth sitting down for an open and honest conversation. Even if you have items 1-8 per above, if your partner's not behind you, you might find your hard work crumbling from within.


So that concludes the APM Breastfeeding Essentials. It's definitely not a typical "must-haves" list, but I decided to cut the fluff and focus on what really matters. I could have told you all about how much I loved the "My Breast Friend" pillow or how much my "Bebe Au Lait" nursing cover sucked, but those are small personal details, which in all likelihood you will disagree with anyway.

What I can tell you is breastfeeding is tough. It's probably much tougher then you think it will be, but there really are rewards, and the rewards make it so worth it, more than worth it. Looking back from the seven-month mark not only would I do it all over again, I would do it five times over.

Except for pumping. Pumping's the worst.


Images used:

http://educationcareerarticles.com/education-articles/higher-education-articles/lactation-consultant-education-job-overview/
http://www.kleankanteen.com/collections/bottles
http://www.quickmedical.com/seca/pediatrics/727.html
http://www.ecobabysteps.com/2009/11/11/how-la-leche-league-can-help-you-with-breastfeeding/

No comments:

Post a Comment